Street Lights

Utilities Department is responsible for the management of street lighting in some of the electoral areas. Currently the Regional District is responsible for Husula Highlands, Naramata, Olalla, Faulder, Keremeos, Schneider Subdivision, West Bench and Heritage Hills.

Establishing a Local Service Area for Street Lighting

In existing subdivisions, the owners of property within the subdivision may petition the Regional District to provide streetlights in their area. To be approved, the petition must receive support of at least 2/3 of the owners and the total value of the assenting owner's land must represent more than 50% of the total land value in the subdivision. If approved the owners will pay for installation, operating, and maintaining the streetlights on their taxes or through an annual utility bill.


Developers should check with the Regional District Planning Services for subdivision requirements before building.

Streetlight Repair Request

If you notice a burnt out bulb, bulb flickering, bulb light on during the day, vandalized,  or other streetlight issues, please make a note of the street light pole number (located on the pole) and the street address.  If not possible to obtain the pole number, the street address is sufficient.

  • Email or phone the RDOS  the following information: the street light pole number, street address, reason for the repair request and your contact information. 
  • Email: (Attention: Utilities Department) or Phone Utilities Department: 250-490-4135. 

If the street light requiring maintenance is in the RDOS Street Lighting Service Area, RDOS will then forward the maintenance request to FORTISBC, and will confirm to you, that the maintenance request has been submitted.

If you notice the street light has not been repaired within three to four weeks, please contact the RDOS, so that we may follow up with FORTISBC.