In 2017, the Regional District completed a review of the Environmentally Sensitive Development Permit (ESDP) Area designations in the South OKanagan Electoral Area Official Community Plan (OCP) Bylaw (this being Electoral Areas "A", "C", "D", "E", "F" & "I").
This represented the first review of Environmentally Sensitive Development Permit (ESDP) Areas since their introduction in Electoral Area "D" (OK Falls / Eastside Road) in 1997, and resulted in the introduction of:
- consistent objectives and policies related to “Parks, Recreation & Trails” and “Natural Environment & Conservation” in each Electoral Area OCP Bylaw;
- consistent regulations for "Parks and Recreation (PR)" and "Conservation Area (CA)" zones in each Electoral Area Zoning Bylaw;
- consistent Guidelines governing development in ESDP Areas across Electoral Areas;
- a new "Expedited" DP option based on the submission of a "Rapid Environmental Assessment (REA)"; and
- updated mapping of areas with "high" and "very high" environmental values derived from mapping in "Keeping Nature in our Future" (2013).
Additional information on this project can be found here: https://www.rdos.bc.ca/development-services/planning/strategic-projects/esdp-area-update/
In 2019, a "24 Month Review" of the changes that were implemented was undertaken and administrative report detailing the findings was cosnidered by the Planning and Development (P&D) Committee of the Regional District Board at its meeting of May 23, 2019. A copy of this report is provided below. Amongst other things, it was recommended that:
- replace the Rapid Environmental Assessment (REA) checklist with a new standardised report template ("Environmental Screening Report");
- remove subdivisions as an "expedited" development permit option; and
- undertake minor modifications to the mapping to address the retention of existing dwellings within the ESDP Area.
At its meeting of August 6, 2020, the following Director’s Motion was carried by the Regional District Board:
- THAT the RDOS Board apply Environmentally sensitive development permits (ESDPs) to only Subdivisions and rezonings; and further,
- THAT Staff report back to the Board on the options to make ESDPs more effective at Subdivisions and rezonings; and further,
- THAT ESDPs should in no way prevent or discourage residents from firesmarting their properties according to the firesmart principles.
At its meeting of September 3, 2020, the August 6, 2020, Motion was debated and carried by the Regional District Board.
While work on this project remains on-going, the Regional District encourages feedback from residents regarding the current ESDP Area designation. These comments can be:
- emailed to email@example.com;
- faxed to 250-492-0063; or
- mailed or dropped off at 101 Martin Street, Penticton, BC, V2A-5J9.
The option of completing and submitting a RDOS Feedback Form to the numbers listed above is also available.
Amendment Bylaw Status
|Draft Documents||APC Consideration||Public Consultation||Regional District Board Consideration|
Draft Amendment Bylaw:
Draft Amendment Bylaw No. 2912
Draft Amendment Bylaw No. 2500.17
Director's Notice of Motion
Electoral Area "A"
Electoral Area "C"
Minutes (NO QUORUM)
Electoral Area "D"
Electoral Area "E"
Electoral Area "F"
Electoral Area "H"
Electoral Area "I"
Public Information Meetings:
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2022
Time: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
ESDP Review - Slide Presentation
Video Recording of Meeting (2022-02-22)
ESDP Review - Slide Presentation
Meeting Number: TBD
Public Hearing Notice
Planning & Development Committee:
Bylaw Introduction (1st & 2nd reading):
Public Hearing Report
3rd Reading & Adoption: