Household Hazardous Waste


Where Do I Take Household Hazardous Waste?

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) consists of products that can harm people, animals and the environment if they are improperly disposed of. These products can be poisonous, corrosive, flammable or be linked to cancer or other health issues.

General HHW - The RDOS has set up a one stop residential Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Campbell Mountain Sanitary Landfill (CML) that services those communities within the CML service area (Naramata, City of Penticton, West Bench, Okanagan Falls, Kaleden, Twin Lakes, Apex, Upper Carmi, Cawston, Olalla, Village of Keremeos, Hedley). This facility can only accept materials from 8:30 am to 4 pm on days the landfill is open. This facility will take limited daily amounts of Household Hazardous Waste free of charge from residents living within the CML service area.

  • General HHW - Residential Quantities accepted to be no more than 10 Residential HHW items per load per day. Must be clearly labeled.
  • Commercial/Industrial/Agricultural HHW Products are not accepted. 

Paint - Residential quantities (limit of 20 litres per load per day) - maximum container size is 20 litres - maximum aerosol container size is 680g / 24oz. 

  • Paint must be in its original container, with labels intact, and tightly sealed
  • Do not mix different types of paint products together, recycling depot can’t accept paint which has been mixed with other products

Gasoline - accepted only in an ULC-approved gas can or jerry can with secure lid.

  • For safety reasons, the gasoline container cannot be returned at drop off.
  • Maximum container size for gasoline is 25 litres
  • The following fuels are not accepted: Diesel Fuel or High Octane Racing Fuel/Aviation fuels 

Used Motor Oil - Residential quantities (limit of 20 litres per load per day) - Containers must have lids secured.

Fluorescent Tubes - Residential quantities (10 per load per day). Commerical Fluorescent Tubes can be taken to JC Bottle Depot in Penticton. 

Select materials (such as paint, used oil, batteries and mercury containing items) can be recycled at private businesses across the RDOS. Visit our Recycle Page for links to information on where materials can be properly reused, recycled or safely disposed of locally.

To download a copy of the Recycling Council of British Columbia's Toxic Toolkit for safer cleaning options.

Identifying Household Hazardous Waste

Items identified as Household Hazardous Waste should be treated carefully and brought safely to the HHW depot. Please note only residential products in residential quantities can be accepted. See below for more information on what cannot be accepted.

Common Household Hazardous Waste Examples:

Roofing TarPaint (latex & oil based)Aerosols Compressed Gas ContainersFuel
AdhesivesPesticidesFertilizerCorrosive MaterialsOil
Glass CleanerDrain CleanerSealersCausticsAcids
BatteriesPool ChemicalsStrippersFluorescent light tubesBallasts

Many, but not all, Household Hazardous Waste Items have the following symbols:


What Isn't Household Hazardous Waste?

The Campbell Mountain Landfill Household Hazardous Waste facility does not take certain types of items from residents.

These include:

Explosives Munitions Flares
Radioactive materials Bio-Hazardous Waste Industrial or Commercial Waste

The HHW Facility does not take any waste from commercial sources. Commercial enterprises can contact the Regional District Solid Waste Department for information on Hazardous Waste Disposal. The HHW Facility will not accept materials in commercial sized containers such as industrial sized paint cans or large metal drums. For acceptable container size information for specific products please contact RDOS Solid Waste at 250-490-4129 or

Other Hazardous or Controlled items are accepted by the Campbell Mountain Landfill but have applicable tipping fees. Please click here for more information.