Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) consists of products that can harm people, animals and the environment if they are improperly disposed of. These products can be poisonous, corrosive, flammable or be linked to cancer or other health issues.

General HHW

The RDOS has a residential Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Campbell Mountain Landfill that services those communities within the CML service area (Naramata, City of Penticton, West Bench, Okanagan Falls, Kaleden, Twin Lakes, Apex, Upper Carmi, Cawston, Olalla, Village of Keremeos, Hedley). This facility can only accept materials from 8:30 am - 4 pm on days the landfill is open. This facility will take limited daily amounts of Household Hazardous Waste free of charge from residents living within the CML service area.

  • General HHW: Residential Quantities accepted to be no more than 10 Residential HHW items per load per day. Must be clearly labeled.
  • Commercial, Industrial, and Agricultural HHW Products are not accepted. 


  • Limit of 20 litres per load per day, maximum container size is 20 litres, maximum aerosol container size is 680g or 24oz
  • Paint must be in its original container, with labels intact, and tightly sealed
  • Do not mix different types of paint products together, recycling depot cannot accept paint which has been mixed with other products


  • Accepted only in an ULC-approved gas can or jerry can with a secure lid. The gasoline container cannot be returned
  • Maximum container size for gasoline is 25 litres
  • Diesel Fuel, High Octane Racing Fuel and Aviation fuels are not accepted

Used Motor Oil

  • Limit of 20 litres per load per day. Containers must have lids secured.

Fluorescent Tubes

  • Limit of 10 per load per day. Commerical Fluorescent Tubes can be taken to JC Bottle Depot in Penticton. 

For asbestos, lead, or burned material see here. Select materials (such as paint, used oil, batteries and mercury containing items) can be recycled at private businesses across the RDOS. Visit our Recycling Page for links to information on where materials can be properly reused, recycled or safely disposed of locally. 

Download a copy of the Recycling Council of British Columbia's Toxic Toolkit for safer cleaning options.

Identifying Household Hazardous Waste

Items identified as Household Hazardous Waste should be treated carefully and brought safely to the HHW depot. Please note only residential products in residential quantities can be accepted. See below for more information on what cannot be accepted.

Common Household Hazardous Waste Examples:

Roofing TarPaint (latex & oil based)Aerosols Compressed Gas ContainersFuel
AdhesivesPesticidesFertilizerCorrosive MaterialsOil
Glass CleanerDrain CleanerSealersCausticsAcids
BatteriesPool ChemicalsStrippersFluorescent light tubesBallasts

Many, but not all, Household Hazardous Waste Items have the following symbols:


What Isn't Household Hazardous Waste?

The Campbell Mountain Landfill Household Hazardous Waste facility does not take certain types of items from residents. These include:

Explosives Munitions Flares
Radioactive materials Bio-Hazardous Waste Industrial or Commercial Waste

The HHW Facility does not take any waste from commercial sources. Commercial enterprises can contact the Regional District Solid Waste Department for information on Hazardous Waste Disposal. The HHW Facility will not accept materials in commercial sized containers such as industrial sized paint cans or large metal drums. For acceptable container size information for specific products please leave a message with RDOS Solid Waste at 250-490-4129 or