What We Do
What do we do?
Solid Waste Department Mission Statement: To provide the most effective, efficient and environmental superior means of managing solid waste reduction, reuse, recovery and refuse disposal by promoting excellence in our customer service, innovation, safety, a respectful work place, integrity and education.
The Solid Waste Department has the following focus areas:
- Solid Waste Management Planning
- Manages 3 Landfills (Campbell Mountain, Okanagan Falls, Oliver), and two Transfer Stations (Keremeos, and Apex) - see landfills
- Curbside Collection program for rural areas of garbage, recycling, yard waste and large item collection - www.rdos.bc.ca/curbside
- Processing the Landfill Waste Disposal Applications for Demolition materials from structures - www.rdos.bc.ca/demo
- Illegal Dumping Program - see illegal dumping
- Capital Infrastructure upgrades for solid waste projects
- Operations of the Oliver Landfill composting facility
- Oliver Landfill heavy equipment operations beginning in mid-2023
- Air Quality - Air Quality Reference Guide and information on Wood Heating
What do we do? Our primary task is to provide service to our community by managing the 5 R’s of Solid Waste Management, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover, Residual Management. This occurs through our education, innovation and provision of services throughout the Regional District and its member municipalities.
What are our core values?
- Public Education – Help our customers make good choices through education and communication.
- Customer service - Our customers are our patrons, member municipalities, Regional District Board and staff and commercial users
- Environmental Stewardship. Meeting our environmental goals and reducing environmental impacts by building and operating the best reduction, reuse, recover, and recycling programs available and by ensuring that our landfills have the least amount of environmental impact
- Innovation – Develop new methods and means of meeting our environmental goals.
- Safe, collaborative and good working environment – Ensure that the RDOS is an employer of choice.
- Respectful environment for staff and the public through education.
- Integrity – Our operations will be conducted with the utmost integrity and will warrant public trust
- Fiscal Prudence- Provide an efficient, organized and well-thought out service.
Solid Waste questions: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Solid Waste Hotline at 250-490-4129