NOTE: PROVINCE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA HAS ISSUED A BAN ON OPEN BURNING EFFECTIVE MARCH 26, 2020. OPEN BURNING NOT PERMITTED APRIL 15 TO OCTOBER 15 EACH YEAR. The process for obtaining a burning permit within the RDOS is currently under review. We are working to standardize the process in the region..
The Okanagan-Similkameen valleys often experience weather systems called inversions. An inversion makes the airshed susceptible to the build up of air contaminants that impact human health, visibility, and the environment.
Burning permits are required for the following fire protection areas – Kaleden, Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Tulameen, and Willowbrook. Residents within these five fire protection areas will make application for a burning permit through the RDOS office. If your property is outside one of these fire protection service areas contact either your Municipality or the Ministry of Forests at 1-888-797-1717 to obtain an open air burning permit. Report illegal burning to your local fire authority or R.A.P.P. (Report All Poachers & Polluters)1-877-952-7277.
Click to view fire protection service area maps click on the links below;
Permit holders must confirm that burning is allowed on that day by checking the Air Quality and Venting Index. Call 250-490-4125
To view today's Venting Index click here
3 Steps To Obtain A Burning Permit
Step 1 PROVINCE OF BC HAS ISSUED A BAN ON ALL OPEN BURNING EFFECTIVE MARCH 26, 2020. NO APPLICATIONS WILL BE APPROVED UNTIL FALL BURNING SESSION (OCTOBER 15)
- Complete Burning Permit Application Form (print the form, fill in your information, email, mail, fax or drop off the completed form to the RDOS office)
- Mail or Fax Form
- In Person
Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
101 Martin Street, Penticton
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
Fax 250-492-0063 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make yourself familiar with the Province of B C Regulations
- All Burning Permit Applications must receive approval from your local Fire Chief before an Open Air Burning Permit is issued.
- Report illegal burning to your local fire authority or R.A.P.P. (Report all Poachers & Polluters) 1-877-952-7277
- Tulameen-Coalmont residents only - you may contact your local fire authority or follow the steps outlined to complete a Burning Permit Application Form and Open Air Burning Permit. Contact information - (250)295.6688 or email to email@example.com
- Obtain an Open Air Burning Permit
- Your Open Air Burning Permit Application is forwarded to your local fire department for approval.
- If APPROVED - you will be contacted by your local fire department
- Permit is valid for calendar year - all permits expire December 31
- If DECLINED you will be contacted by your local fire departemnt
- Before Burning
- Check the Venting Index
- Telephone Regional Dispatch (250) 490-4125
- Burning is permitted on days when the venting index is predicted to be "Good" (55-100) at 4:00 p.m.
- Report Your Burn
- If it is a "Good" burning day contact your local fire department that you intend to burn. You may carry out a maximum of four burns a year. Open air burning is NOT permitted April 15 to October 15 each year.
- All permits may be subject to a site inspection.