EOC Update: Live video update (2:00 pm) and planning for pets during emergencies August 10, 2021 11:15 amNews Article
BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is the lead agency for information about wildfires.
Please visit bcwildfire.ca for current wildfire size, status and resources.
A live video update is scheduled for today (Tuesday, August 10) at 2:00 pm. To view video updates, please visit the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) YouTube channel.
Area Restriction Notices
Area Restriction notices are in effect for Nk’Mip Creek and Garrison Lake wildfires. Only local traffic not currently under evacuation order will have access to the vicinity. Please avoid travelling through areas outlined in the area restrictions, including backcountry on an ATV or other vehicle.
Are you prepared?
When creating an emergency plan for your household, it is important to also plan for your pets.
Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team (ALERT) is a volunteer organization that supports communities by setting up temporary animal relief shelters, assisting with the evacuation of animals, maintenance of animals sheltered in place, coordinates animal food and supplies and care for sick or injured animals. When emergency events are not happening, ALERT team members are available to assist you in planning ahead and creating an evacuation plan for your animals.
PreparedBC offers additional guides to prepare yourself, your family, home or business in case an evacuation is ordered. Health Evacuation Guidelines for COVID-19 have been developed by Emergency Management BC.
- BC Wildfire Service - Fires of Note for current wildfire size, status and resources
- Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team (ALERT) for emergency pet planning resources
- DriveBC for latest highway updates including closures and events
- Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) for latest regional updates
- RDOS Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) for latest regional updates and preparedness information
Issued by EOC Director
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN EVACUATION ALERT IS ISSUED
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the Evacuation Order:
Locate all family members and designate a meeting area outside the evacuation area, should an Evacuation Order be called while separated.
- Take critical items only if they are immediately available:
- government-issued ID
- valuable papers (e.g. insurance, credit, and mortgage information)
- immediate care needs for dependents
- Prepare to move persons with mobility concerns, children and/or neighbors, if assistance is needed.
- If you identify as having extraordinary needs, call RDOS EOC for assistance: 250-490-4225
- Prepare to take pets with you and move livestock to a safe area (if possible).
- For pet owners and hobby farmers with concerns for their animals Animal Emergency Response Team (ALERT) can help: 250-809-7152 or email email@example.com
- Farmers who require assistance, please contact RDOS EOC.
- Fill the gas tanks of personal vehicles.
- If transportation assistance is needed, contact RDOS EOC.
- Please store your Firearms in accordance with Section 118 of the Firearms Act.
- Arrange accommodation for all members of the residence, if possible.
- Wait for an Evacuation Order to be issued before evacuating.
- Monitor news sources including CivicReady.