EOC Update: Nk'Mip Creek, Brenda Creek and Thomas Creek Wildfire statusNews Article
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) continues to work with BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) to monitor the Nk’Mip Creek, Thomas Creek and Brenda Creek wildfires.
Due to the RDOS Board and Committee meeting, the Thursday, July 22 wildfire information session live video update on YouTube has been rescheduled for Friday July 23, 2021 at 2:00 pm. For the latest updates on RDOS evacuation alerts and orders, please visit the EOC website: emergency.rdos.bc.ca
For the latest on the wildfires, please visit the BC Wildfire Service website and social media channels.
Nk’Mip Creek (K52061)
- Evacuation Orders and Evacuation Alerts remain in effect.
- The Oliver Landfill is closed until further notice. Osoyoos Landfill (located at 17250 146 Avenue, Osoyoos) will be accepting materials from Electoral Area C and Town of Oliver at the Osoyoos landfill rates, until the Oliver Landfill reopens.
- Osoyoos Indian Band (OIB) members are encouraged to follow local community Facebook pages for updates. An additional Evacuation Order was issued by OIB on July 21, 2021 at 10:15 pm.
- Boaters and pleasure craft operators are reminded to avoid Osoyoos Lake to allow air crews to conduct operations safely.
- All evacuees are asked to register online with the Emergency Support Services (ESS) Evacuee Registration and Assistance tool, even if you do not need referrals such as housing or other services (https://ess.gov.bc.ca)
- If you require services, please visit the Emergency Support Services (ESS) Reception Centre at Royal Canadian Legion Branch 97, 36217 Main Street, Oliver
- The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary has issued evacuation orders and alerts, please see their website for more information: https://emergency.rdkb.com
Richter Pass Wildfire (K52095)
- This wildfire is reported as being held
- RDOS is monitoring along with BC Wildfire Services
- Check DriveBC for updates if you are travelling in the area
Thomas Creek (K51794)
Evacuation Alert including Allendale Lake Resort, remains in effect for 705 properties. The Okanagan Falls boat launch remains closed until further notice in order to assist with BCWS operations. A Provincial Area Restriction notice is in effect. Boaters and pleasure craft operators are reminded to avoid Skaha Lake and Vaseux Lake to allow air crews to conduct operations safely.
Brenda Creek (K51924)
Evacuation Order remains in effect for 42 parcels. The RDOS continues to monitor the situation and work with BCWS, Central Okanagan Regional District and Thompson Nicola Regional District. A mass water delivery system is now in place to protect the section of the transmission line within the fire perimeter. Please avoid camping or recreational activities near the area. A Provincial Area Restriction notice is in effect.
Issued by Director of EOC
Depending on the severity of the situation, an evacuation alert or order may be issued. It’s important to understand the different stages. Residents and visitors will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to evacuation; however, you may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
To be ready, know your hazards and follow PreparedBC’s guides to prepare yourself, your family, home or business in case an evacuation is ordered. Health Evacuation Guidelines for COVID-19 have been developed by Emergency Management BC.
Please visit the RDOS EOC website for resource links and information updates: https://emergency.rdos.bc.ca/resources/
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN EVACUATION ALERT IS ISSUED
Upon notification of an ALERT, you should be prepared for the Evacuation Order:
- Locate all family members and designate a meeting area outside the evacuation area, should an Evacuation Order be called while separated.
- Take critical items only if they are immediately available:
- government-issued ID
- valuable papers (e.g. insurance, credit, and mortgage information)
- immediate care needs for dependents
- Prepare to move persons with mobility concerns, children and/or neighbors, if assistance is needed.
- If you identify as having extraordinary needs, call RDOS EOC for assistance: 250-490-4225
- Prepare to take pets with you and move livestock to a safe area (if possible).
- For pet owners and hobby farmers with concerns for their animals Animal Emergency Response Team (ALERT) can help: 250-809-7152 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Farmers who require assistance, please contact RDOS EOC.
- Arrange transportation for all your household members.
- Fill the gas tanks of personal vehicles.
- If transportation assistance is needed, contact RDOS EOC.
- Please store your Firearms in accordance with Section 118 of the Firearms Act.
- Arrange accommodation for all members of the residence, if possible.
- Wait for an Evacuation Order to be issued before evacuating.
- Monitor news sources including CivicReady.