Wildfire season is here: Book your free FireSmart home assessmentNews Article
As the weather starts to warm up, now is the time to prepare your home and property for wildfire season. The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) is calling on property owners living within the nine electoral areas to book their free FireSmart home assessments today – and protect your home from the effects of wildfires and flying embers.
A Wildfire Mitigation Specialist from the RDOS will come to your property to conduct a Home Hazard Assessment and provide recommendations of various steps that can be taken to FireSmart your property. Suggestions may involve clearing dead or combustible vegetation, implementing wildfire-resilient landscaping or using fire-resistant roofing materials, to list a few examples.
“In today’s climate, we are seeing increased wildfire events throughout the southern Interior that require homeowners be more vigilant in protecting their properties from wildfire events. It’s important to take some simple steps around your properties to protect your property from wildfires,” says Sean Vaisler, Manager of Emergency Services. “This FireSmart home assessment is completely free and the RDOS is encouraging as many homeowners as possible to take that first step to book your appointment today.”
The Home Hazard Assessment can be booked online at firesmart.rdos.bc.ca. Homeowners can also apply for a $500 rebate to conduct work on the property, whether it’s toward costs to chop down a tree, upgrade siding or to cover time spent conducting work on the property. Full details are available on the website.
Upcoming FireSmart Events
Learn more about how to FireSmart your home at these upcoming June events – or register in person for a home assessment. Find out more about these events at rdos.bc.ca/newsandevents/event-calendar.
- Willowbrook FireSmart Information Day: Saturday, June 11, 2022 (10:00 am to 1:00 pm), Willowbrook Fire Hall, 3395 Willowbrook Rd., Oliver
- Similkameen Recreation Centre Open House: Saturday, June 11, 2022 (10:00 am to 2:00 pm), 311 - 9th Street, Keremeos
- Stan Thompson Memorial Rodeo FireSmart Booth: Sunday, June 12, 2022 (1:30 am to 5:30 pm), Princeton Rodeo Grounds, Laurie Currie Way, Princeton
- Okanagan Falls Recreation Centre Open House: Thursday, June 16, 2022 (2:30 pm to 5:30 pm), 1141 Cedar Street, Okanagan Falls
- Missezula Lake Chipping Event: Saturday, June 18, 2022 (10:00 am to 1:00 pm), Missezula Community Gazebo. A chipping service will be driving through the community to chip and remove debris. Please have your debris piled by the road at the end on or before 10:00 am that day.
- Osprey Lake FireSmart Community BBQ & Information Day: Saturday, June 18, 2022 (12:00 pm to 2:00 pm), Hayes Creek Fire Department, 3950 Princeton-Summerland Rd.
Sign up for emergency alerts and routine notifications
The RDOS has partnered with Voyent Alert! to provide routine and emergency notifications throughout the region. Sign up now to receive email, text or phone notifications, or download the Voyent Alert! app through the App Store or Google Play. Once you’ve registered, you are automatically signed up for emergency notifications.
The EOC is monitoring conditions and will activate if required. If you notice flooding or other issues, please call the EOC at 250-490-4225 or the provincial Emergency Coordination Centre at 1-800-663-3456. In case of an emergency, call 9-1-1.