EOC Update: Evacuation ALERT issued for Upper Carmi in Electoral Area “D”News Article
An Evacuation Alert has been issued by the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC). The Regional EOC has placed 116 civic addresses in Upper Carmi area and one home north of Heritage Hills on Eastside Rd under Evacuation Alert due to a wildfire. Skaha Bluffs Provincial Park is also under Evacuation Alert.
An Evacuation Alert has been issued to prepare residents, businesses and visitors to evacuate their premises or property in the event an Evacuation Order is issued. The RDOS EOC is working with BC Wildfire to assess the situation. Property owners will be given as much advance notice as possible prior to an Evacuation Order, however residents may receive limited notice due to changing conditions.
Residents and property owners are strongly advised to take proactive measures to prepare for an Evacuation Order. Please see the information listed below in this information release. A full list of properties below.
Residents under an Evacuation Alert can now register with Emergency Support Services: https://ess.gov.bc.ca/ This site increases the speed of ESS services for potential evacuee
Please visit the RDOS EOC website for resource links and information updates: https://emergency.rdos.bc.ca/resources/
Interactive Map of RDOS Evacuation Orders and Alerts: https://emergency.rdos.bc.ca/interactive-map/
CivicReady® Mass Notification System – sign up for routine and emergency notifications: https://emergency.rdos.bc.ca/civic-ready/
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO WHEN AN EVACUATION ALERT IS ISSUED
When under ALERT please register at ess.gov.bc.ca
Click on self-register now on the website.
What you should do:
- Follow the directions of emergency responders and travel the designated or safest route available.
- If evacuated Register as an evacuee at 199 Ellis Street, Penticton, BC.
- If you need transportation assistance from the evacuation area, contact the RDOS EOC.
- If you identify as having extraordinary needs, contact the RDOS EOC for assistance.
- COVID-19 protocols are in place. If you have symptoms or are self-isolating, please do not attend the reception centre. Call 8-1-1 for direction.
- If evacuated shut off all gas and electrical appliances, other than refrigerators and freezers.
- If evacuated close all windows and doors
- Please store your Fire Arms in accordance with Section 118 of the Fire Arms Act.
- Close gates (latch) but do not lock.
- Prepare critical items:
- Government issued ID
- Valuable papers (e.g. insurance, credit, and mortgage information)
- Immediate care needs for dependents
- Cell phone and charger (if you have)
- Pet owners and hobby farmers with concerns for their animals:
- Animal Emergency Response Team (ALERT) can help, call (250) 809 – 7152
- Farmers who require assistance call the RDOS EOC.