RDOS Candidate FAQ


1. "What provision is there for me to take an extended leave? I like to head south for a bit in the winter."

 As an Electoral Area Director, you will be appointing an alternate to attend meetings when you are unable to do so. This Alternate Director may attend Board and other meetings on your behalf when you are unable to attend.

 The Local Government Act Section 204 states that if a board member is absent from board meetings for a period of 60 consecutive days or 4 consecutive regularly scheduled board meetings, whichever is the longer time period, the board member is disqualified from holding office. The disqualification does not apply if the absence is because of illness or injury or is with the leave of the board.

2. "May I get a copy of the RDOS list of registered electors?"

     The RDOS does not keep a list of registered electors.  Electors register at the time of voting.  The Local Government Act Section 69 states that "A local government may, by bylaw, limit registration of electors to registration at the time of voting."

3.  Can residents of First Nations land vote for me?

  Members of First Nations and non-native residents of First Nations land are eligible to vote in Local Government Elections, providing they meet the eligibility criteria outlined in the Local Government Act, Section 65 and 66.

  •  Will be 18 years of age or older on October 20, 2018;
  •  Canadian citizen;
  •  Resident of BC for at least 6 months immediately preceding voting day;
  •  Resident of or registered owner of real property in the electoral area for at least 30 days immediately preceding voting day; and
  •  Not otherwise disqualified by law from voting.

 4.  When may I post my campaign signage?

Signs may be posted at any time, providing they conform to the requirements of Section 44 and 45 of the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act.

5.  Can the candidates be present at voting times and/or when the polls close?

Except to vote, candidates are not permitted at the voting places.  An official agent for the candidate may be present, and candidates may appoint one scrutineer for each ballot box in use.  Local Government Act Section 120.

Candidates may, however, be present for counting proceedings.  Local Government Act Section 134.

6.  Can a candidate drive people to the polling station, and can they advertise it?

Candidates are responsible to ensure compliance with legislation and may wish to refer to the Local Government Act, particularly Part 3 Electors and Elections.  It is also recommended that candidates reference the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act and the Candidates Guide to Local Government Elections in BC.

7.  Do I (as a candidate) have to register with Elections BC?

No.  Candidates do not have to register directly with Elections BC; however, contact information and candidate's financial agent information from the nomination package is forwarded to Elections BC by the local authority.  Please refer to the Elections BC website for more information.

8.  Are candidates allowed to post campaign signs along roads and highways?

RDOS Zoning bylaws allow for signs "to promote or advertise a political party or candidate from the date of election call to five days after election day."

9.  What name must my bank account be opened under? 

Elections BC has advised that a bank account opened for candidate expenses must include the name of the candidate and be evident that it is for campaign purposes only.  Most financial institutions have embedded the legislation in their process and may have a naming convention for when an account is opened for this purpose.  Please refer to Elections BC website

10. How many voters are in my electoral area?

Based on the latest census information from Statistics Canada, RDOS estimates the following number of electors in each Electoral Area:

Area# of Electors
Electoral Area "A" 1,510
Electoral Area "B" 790
Electoral Area "C" 2,890
Electoral Area "D" 3,358
Electoral Area "E" 1,540
Electoral Area "F" 1,555
Electoral Area "G" 1,935
Electoral Area "H" 1,665
Electoral Area "I" 2,929
Olalla Local Community 464

11. What is the order on the ballots?

Click here to view list.

12. What are the boundaries of the Electoral Areas?

Click here to view map.

13. What was the voting turnout in each of the Electoral Areas in the 2014 election?

Click here for the 2014 election results.

14. How can I view 2018 election results?

Election results will be found on Civic Info BC website. Select 'Regional Districts', we are listed as Okanagan-Similkameen.

15. What if I need assistance while voting?

If you are able to make it to the voting place, but are unable to go inside the building, you may request Curbside Voting – whereby an election official will bring a ballot to your vehicle. 

If you are unable to mark your own ballot, you may ask for help from an Election Official, friend or relative.  A declaration for a Person Assisting an Elector to Mark a Ballot  will be required for this.

If you require a translator to interpret for you, a declaration for a Translator may be requested.

16. What to bring when you vote.


Every elector must provide 2 pieces of ID, at least one of which contains a signature. Picture identification is not necessary.

Resident Electors: should provide proof of identity and residency. If the elector does not have ID showing residency, they must still provide 2 pieces of ID, one with a signature, and must make a solemn declaration of residency.

Non-Resident Property Electors must provide 2 pieces of ID proving identity, one with a signature; provide proof that they are entitled to register in relation to a property (that they are a current registered owner on the title); and, if applicable, provide written consent from the other property owners to vote on behalf of that property.

Identification that will be accepted at the Polling Locations are:

 (a) a British Columbia Driver’s License,

 (b) a British Columbia Identification Card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch,

 (c) an Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Insurance issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia,

 (d) a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard,

 (e) a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8,

 (f) a Social Insurance Card issued by Human Resources Development      Canada,

 (g) a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada,

 (h) a real property tax notice issued under the Local Government Act or the Taxation (Rural Area) Act,

 (i)  a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in section 29 of the Interpretation Act, or

 (j) a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services by (i) a public utility as defined in section 1 of the Utilities Commission Act,

(ii)     a gas utility as defined in section 1 of the Gas Utility Act,

(iii) a water utility as defined in section 1 of the Water Act,

(iv)    the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, or

(v)     a corporation licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission for the purpose of that supply.

 (k) Canadian Passport

 (l) Canadian Indian Status Card

 (m) Canadian Firearms License

 17. Where can I find information on Area "F" Official Community Plan?

Click here to view OCP information on RDOS website

 18. Can a corporation vote?

No.  Local Government Act section 64 (3) states "For clarification, no corporation is entitled to be registered as an elector and no corporation is entitled to vote".