Development Permit (DP)
Development Permits (DP) may be required prior to the issuance of building permits, the registration of subdivisions or alterations of land on properties that are designated as Development Permit Areas in an Official Community Plan (OCP) Bylaw.
In the Regional District, Development Permit Areas have been established in relation to the:
- protection of the natural environment;
- protection of development from hazardous conditions;
- protection of farming; and
- establishment of built “form and character” objectives for commercial, industrial and multi-family developments.
While the approval of most types of DPs has been delegated by the Regional District Board to staff to approve, “form and character” DPs must be considered by the Board. Under certain circumstances staff may choose not to exercise their delegated authority and may refer an application to the Board. In considering a DP application, the Board may also choose to refer a proposal to the local Advisory Planning Commission (APC) prior to making a decision.
All DP applications require a fee, supporting information such as an environmental impact assessment, riparian area assessment and/or professional geotechnical report.
Please contact the Planning Department staff firstname.lastname@example.org for more information before submitting an application.
For more information on specific types of DPs, please select one of the following options:
- Environmentally Sensitive Development Permit (ESDP) Area;
- Gallagher Lake Commercial Development Permit Area;
- Hillside and Steep Slope Development Permit (HSSDP) Area;
- Naramata Townsite Development Permit Area;
- Okanagan Falls Commercial Development Permit Area;
- Okanagan Falls Industrial Development Permit Area;
- Okanagan Falls Multiple Family Development Permit Area;
- Protection of Farming Development Permit (PFDP) Area; and
- Watercourse Development Permit (WDP) Area.