EOC Update: Evacuation Alert RESCIND | emergency preparednessNews Article
The Evacuation Alert issued by the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) on Friday, May 5, 2023, in Electoral Area “D” adjacent to Shuttleworth Creek is RESCINDED.
Warm weather is forecast over the next several days, and increased inflows are anticipated into tributaries, creeks, and rivers across the Regional District.
The RDOS is reminding residents and property owners to take steps now to prepare for flooding and other emergencies. This includes preparing your family and pets in case an Evacuation Order is issued on short notice. The RDOS will continue to monitor conditions.
Residents and visitors are reminded to stay clear of high flow rivers and creeks. High flows, including potential flooding is possible. If you see flooding, contact the Provincial Emergency Coordination Centre at 1-800-663-3456, or in case of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Knowing which hazards you need to plan for is the first step to getting prepared. An emergency plan says how you and your household will respond to a disaster. Knowing what to do will reduce anxiety and help keep you focused and safe. Following a disaster, you may need to stay at home with an emergency kit or leave immediately with a grab-and-go bag.
The RDOS has activated sandbag centres across the region. Please visit the EOC website emergency.rdos.bc.ca to view current sandbag locations. If you require sand and sandbags within your community, please call the EOC at 250-490-4225 (during office hours) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view current fire bans and restrictions in the province and learn more about the current wildfire situation, please follow the BC Wildfire Service on social media or visit: BCWildfire.ca
For further information, including resource links, please visit the RDOS Emergency Operations Centre website at emergency.rdos.bc.ca or call 250-490-4225.
Issued by EOC Director
Voyent Alert! notification service
The RDOS is hosting a Voyent Alert! tutorial and question and answer session on Tuesday, May 16, 2023, from 12:30 – 1:30 pm. Visit the RDOS event calendar at www.rdos.bc.ca to join online, or join the audio conference only, via telephone: toll-free 1-833-311-4101.
Visit register.voyent-alert.com and select your preferred method of registration. If you require assistance registering or managing your account, please call Voyent Alert! support at 1-877-263-3822 ext. 332 or email email@example.com.
Current subscribers are encouraged to log in and manage your account, including updating your location and notification preferences via the app or online by visiting voyent-alert.com/community.
- RDOS Emergency Operations Centre (EOC): Latest updates and emergency preparedness
- River Forecast Centre: Current snowpack conditions and water supply
- Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit: Helps producers and farms prepare for and recover from flooding
- Video - Prepare for Flooding: Three-minute video provides an introduction and overview of the Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit
- Video - Protect Your Farm Assets: Six-minute video discusses the process for planning your farm/ranch asset protection and the Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit
- EmergencyInfoBC: Active during partial and full-scale provincial emergencies; official response and recovery sources, as well as verified event information from trusted partners
- PreparedBC: Understand and prepare for hazards such as flooding and wildfires
- What to do when an Evacuation Alert or Order is issued
To learn more about building a sandbag wall, please visit the RDOS YouTube channel:
RDOS EOC | Sandbagging Information | Sandbag Wall