EOC Update: prepare now for floodingNews Article
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) is reminding residents and property owners to take steps now to prepare for flooding. This includes moving items in and around your home to higher ground and preparing your family and pets in case an Evacuation Order is issued on short notice.
Residents and visitors are reminded to stay clear of high flow rivers and creeks. High flows, including potential flooding is possible. If you see flooding, contact the Provincial Emergency Coordination Centre at 1-800-663-3456, or in case of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Knowing which hazards you need to plan for is the first step to getting prepared. An emergency plan says how you and your household will respond to a disaster. Knowing what to do will reduce anxiety and help keep you focused and safe. Following a disaster, you may need to stay at home with an emergency kit or leave immediately with a grab-and-go bag.The RDOS has activated sandbag centres across the region.
If you require sand and sandbags, please visit a sandbag centre in your community. Please visit the RDOS Emergency Operations Centre website emergency.rdos.bc.ca to view current sandbag locations. Please work with your family, friends, and neighbours if you are unable to fill or place sandbags to protect your property.
If you require sand and sandbags within your community, please call the RDOS Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) at 250-490-4225 (during office hours) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The RDOS Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) has issued the following Evacuation Alert due to Shuttleworth Creek flooding in Okanagan Falls.
Electoral Area “D”
Evacuation Alert: 75 properties
Click here to learn what you should do when an Evacuation Alert is issued.
For more information, including resource links, please visit the RDOS Emergency Operations Centre website at emergency.rdos.bc.ca.
For further information, please call the EOC at 250-490-4225.
Issued by EOC Director
Definitions you should know
- Flood Warning: River levels have exceeded bankfull or will exceed bankfull imminently, and flooding of areas adjacent to affected rivers will result.
- Flood Watch: River levels are rising and will approach or may exceed bankfull. Flooding of areas adjacent to affected rivers may occur.
- High Streamflow Advisory: River levels are rising or expected to rise rapidly, but no major flooding is expected. Minor flooding in low-lying areas is possible.
- RDOS Emergency Operations Centre (EOC): Latest updates and emergency preparedness
- River Forecast Centre: Current snowpack conditions and water supply
- Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit: Helps producers and farms prepare for and recover from flooding
- Video - Prepare for Flooding: Three-minute video provides an introduction and overview of the Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit
- Video - Protect Your Farm Assets: Six-minute video discusses the process for planning your farm/ranch asset protection and the Farm Flood Readiness Toolkit
- EmergencyInfoBC: Active during partial and full-scale provincial emergencies; official response and recovery sources, as well as verified event information from trusted partners
- PreparedBC: Understand and prepare for hazards such as flooding and wildfires