EOC Update: Crater Creek wildfire (K52125) Thursday, August 17, 2023, 7:15 pmNews Article
BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) Information
Current Evacuation Alerts and Orders
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) issued an Evacuation ORDER for six (6) properties in Electoral Area “G”, effective Thursday, August 17, 2023, at 4:15 pm due to the Crater Creek wildfire (K52125).
The Evacuation ORDER is in effect for the following areas:
- Electoral Area “G” along the Similkameen River on the west side of Highway 3 from 3675 Highway 3 to 4355 Highway 3.
- This area includes: Suncatchers RV Park; Riverside MH Park; and Lucky R MH Park.
An Evacuation ALERT has been issued for 115 properties in Electoral Area “G” effective Thursday, August 17, 2023, at 6:45 pm due to the Crater Creek wildfire (K52125).
The Evacuation ALERT is in effect for the following areas:
- From 10th Avenue and Highway 3 along the west/south side of Highway 3; to the Lower Similkameen Indian Band boundary.
- From 3175 River Road going west along River Road and north to the Similkameen River; travelling to 205 Ashnola Road.
- Along the east/north side of Highway 3 from the Lower Similkameen Indian Band boundary up to 4354 Highway 3.
- Properties past 4354 Highway 3 on both sides of Highway 3 up to but not including addresses 4625 Highway 3.
Total Alerts and Orders:
- Evacuation Alert: 189 properties
- Evacuation Order: 19 properties
Emergency Reception Centre
An Emergency Reception Centre is open at 199 Ellis Street in Penticton to provide Emergency Support Services (ESS) to those in need.
If you are on Evacuation ORDER, please consider making arrangements to stay with family or friends.
Residents under Evacuation Order can call 250-486-1890 for ESS Services. If you are on an Evacuation Alert or Order, or if you have been displaced from your home due to an emergency, please self-register for ESS. Evacuee Registration & Assistance (ERA): ess.gov.bc.ca
If you have questions about evacuees, please call the RDOS Emergency Operations Centre at 250-490-4225.
The RDOS EOC is hosting a video update on Friday, August 18, 2023, at 2:00 pm. Video updates are available on the RDOS YouTube channel. Please monitor RDOS web and social media channels for the latest updates.
Residents, property owners, and visitors should continue to monitor official information sources for the latest updates.
Weather and wildfire conditions can change quickly. Please take time now to create a preparedness plan for your family or business in case an Evacuation Alert or Order is issued.
With increased winds on Thursday, August 17, 2023, the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) is recommending residents and property owners in the Similkameen and across the Regional District, take the following steps:
- Prepare an emergency grab and go kit
- Consider options to stay with friends and family outside the area
- Conduct a last minute Fire Smart checklist
Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team
If you are in an area under an Evacuation Alert, please make arrangements to relocate animals or livestock. Contact ALERT (Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team) for assistance: 250-809-7152.
Please conserve water
Property owners on water systems are asked to conserve water on your property. Too much residential watering will drain reservoirs and limit the ability for crews to fight fires
- Watering from residential hoses is not an effective way to reduce fire risk on your property
- Check the last-minute FireSmart checklist for effective actions to protect your home
Wildfire Smoke and Your Health
Interior Health Authority is reminding residents and visitors of the health concerns due to wildfire smoke. Please click the link below for more information.
Checkpoint on Ashnola Road
Checkpoints have been set up along Ashnola Road in conjunction with the Lower Similkameen Indian Band (LSIB). Please avoid the Red Bridge area. Motorists along Highway 3 are asked to drive with caution and avoid stopping.
VOYENT ALERT! Notifications
Click here to register for routine and emergency notifications via email, text, or telephone. You can also find a link to Voyent Alert! on the RDOS website: www.rdos.bc.ca. For further information, please call the EOC at 250-490-4225. In the case of an emergency, call 9-1-1.
Issued by EOC Director