EOC Update: ice jamsNews Article
Wednesday, December 29, 2021 11:00 am
The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) is monitoring flows on area rivers, including the Similkameen along with the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development (FLNRORD). The EOC will distribute information releases as needed. The EOC is activated to monitor and support potential ice jam events.
• Keep a safe distance from from waterways, ice jams, and river banks
• Water levels can fluctuate quickly and erosion can cause river banks to become unstable
• If you notice ice jamming, and you or your property may be threatened, leave the area if it is safe to do so and call 9-1-1
During an ice jam, water levels can rise over minutes or hours. Ice jams can also release suddenly, sending fast-flowing water and ice downstream. An ice jam release can cause water levels to decrease quickly near the ice jam but rise downstream.
Tips to prepare for an ice jam:
• Follow information on weather advisories from the River Forecast Centre
• Have a plan and educate others, including neighbours
• Have access to a sump pump
• Know the risks associated with living in a floodplain
• Have an emergency kit and grab-and-go bag available and easily accessible
Three steps to Emergency Preparedness at home or work: know the hazards | make a plan | build a kit
Visit the RDOS EOC website for tips and information: https://emergency.rdos.bc.ca/be-prepared/
Voyent Alert! notifications
Click here to register for routine and emergency notifications via email, text, or telephone.
You can also find a link to Voyent Alert! on the RDOS website: www.rdos.bc.ca
For further information, please call the EOC Monday to Friday between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm at 250-490-4225. If you would like to leave a message, the EOC phone is being monitored and your call will be returned as soon as possible. In the case of an emergency, please call 9-1-1.
Issued by EOC Director
Ice on the Similkameen River | Keremeos, BC | December 28, 2021