EOC Update: Returning home after a wildfire August 11, 2021 10:45 amNews Article
As wildfire activity moves farther away from interface areas, evacuated residents and property owners will be advised when it is safe to return home. Do not return home before you have been advised by officials that it is safe to do. Obey all signs and detours upon returning, these have been designated as safe routes. PreparedBC offers resources and information about what to expect when you return home from a wildfire.
Welcome Home Package
If your home was placed on Evacuation Order within the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) and it has been deemed safe to return to, a Welcome Home package will be available at security check points.
The RDOS Welcome Home Package will have information for you and your family about next steps, including contacting insurance agencies, how to manage spoiled food and counselling support.
If security check points have been disassembled by the time you return, contact the RDOS Emergency Operations Centre at 250-490-4225.
Water-soluble fire retardants are commonly used in fire suppression. Retardant is typically coloured red with an iron oxide (rust) mixture to increase its visibility for air crews and ground personnel. If retardant lands on houses or cars it can be easily washed off with water. If the retardant is dry, removal may require some scrubbing with mild detergent and water, or power washing. Never consume vegetables or fruits that have been in contact with fire retardant, including backyard fruit trees, garden boxes or orchards.
Evacuation Alert Rescinded for Cool Creek
The Evacuation Alert issued by the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) in the Cool Creek area, north of Cathedral Provincial Park of Electoral Area G issued on July 29, 2021 has been rescinded as of August 10, 2021.
BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) is the lead agency for information about wildfires. Please visit bcwildfire.ca for current wildfire size, status and resources.
- Prepared BC for information about preparing before a wildfire, during a wildfire and recovering from a wildfire
- BC Wildfire Service - Fires of Note for current wildfire size, status and resources
- Animal Lifeline Emergency Response Team (ALERT) for emergency pet planning resources
- DriveBC for latest highway updates including closures and events
- Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) for latest regional updates
- RDOS Emergency Operations Centre (RDOS EOC) for latest regional updates and preparedness information