EOC Update: Wildfire video update summary Thursday, July 22, 2021News Article
Due to the recent changes regarding the Nk’Mip Creek wildfire, the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) held a live news briefing carried by Castanet. Please visit Castanet YouTube channel to view the recording.
Next briefing: Friday, July 23, 2021 2:00 pm PST (RDOS YouTube Channel)
A summary of the latest updates from affected organization is provided:
Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen
- Visitors should be mindful of BC Wildfire Service (BCWS) operations, evacuation alerts and orders
- Check drivebc.ca for latest road updates including highway closures
Note: Mckinney Road is now closed from Mt. Baldy Road to Old Camp Mckinney Road
- Avoid operational areas including Skaha Lake, Osoyoos Lake and Vaseux Lake
- Thomas Creek wildfire: 705 properties remain on Evacuation Alert
- Brenda Creek wildfire: 42 parcels remain on Evacuation Order
- Nk’Mip wildfire: 566 properties remain on Evacuation Order
Note: does not include evacaution order from Town of Oliver, Town of Osoyoos or Osoyoos Indian Band
Osoyoos Indian Band (OIB)
- Encouraging everyone to adhere to evacuation orders and road closures. This will also help the firefighters do their work as safely as possible.
- OIB members are asked to check their community Facebook page for the latest updates from Chief and Council.
- Last accurate measurement as of Thursday, July 22, 2021 (2:00 pm PST): 2,000 hectares
- Damage reported to power lines. BCWS working with FortisBC to restore power.
- Crews assessing for any other damage
- Reminder to residents and visitors to please stay away from operational areas where crews and helicopters are working
- This will ensure the safety of crews and the public, and maintain effective fire operations
Regional District of Kootenay-Boundary
- Residents on Evacuation Order and Alert from Sidley, Mount Baldy, Bridesville and Rock Creek must check www.rdkb.com for updates
Updates will not be posted on the RDOS website
- 122 addresses remain on Evacuation Order, 318 are on Evacuation Alert
- RDKB Reception Centre located at Boundary Expo Recreation Centre (734 7th Avenue, Midway)
Town of Osoyoos
Evacuees are encouraged to seek lodging with family and friends first, the capacity available in hotels cannot be confirmed. Evacuees in need of assistance should go to the Emergency Support Services (ESS) Reception Centre located at the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 97, 36217 Main Street, Oliver.
Town of Oliver