Household Hazardous Waste

Where Do I Take Household Hazardous Waste?

Identifying Household Hazardous Waste

What Isn't Household Hazardous Waste

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) consists of materials that have the potential to harm people, animals and the environment if they are improperly used or disposed of. These products can be poisonous, corrosive, explosive, flammable or be linked to cancer or other health issues.

The Province of BC and some businesses have set up depots to take some select HHW products for free. Click on the links below to learn more about these programs.

The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen has set up a one stop Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Campbell Mountain Sanitary Landfill. This facility can only accept materials from 8:30 am to 4 pm on days the landfill is open. This facility will take all Household Hazardous Waste free of charge from residents living in Penticton, rural Penticton, Okanagan Falls and the Lower Similkameen.

Visit our Recycle Page for links to information on where materials can be properly reused, recycled or safely disposed of locally.

RDOS Reuse, Recycle & Safe Disposal Guide - Guide to the various locations and programs that accept every day items for reuse, recycling or safe disposal within the RDOS.

To download a copy of the Recycling Council of British Columbia's Toxic Toolkit please press here.

Identifying Household Hazardous Waste

Items identified as Household Hazardous Waste should be treated carefully and brought safely to the HHW depot.

Common Household Hazardous Waste Examples

  • Roofing Tar
  • Paint (latex & oil based)
  • Aerosols
  • Compressed Gas Containers
  • Adhesives
  • Pesticides
  • Fertilizer
  • Fuel
  • Glass Cleaner
  • Drain Cleaner
  • Sealers
  • Oil
  • Ballasts
  • Fluorescent light tubes
  • Strippers
  • Pool Chemicals
  • Batteries
  • Corrosive Materials
  • Acids
  • Caustics

Many, but not all, Household Hazardous Waste Items have the following symbols


Sometimes Household Hazardous Waste can be stored in unlabeled or incorrectly labeled containers and these materials should be treated with caution. If you are unsure whether an item should be treated as Household Hazardous Waste, please contact the Campbell Mountain Landfill at 492-2907.

*Please be aware all containers for waste will be kept including fuel containers*

What Isn't Household Hazardous Waste?

The Campbell Mountain Landfill Household Hazardous Waste facility does not take certain types of items from residents.

These include:

  • Explosives
  • Munitions
  • Flares
  • Radioactive materials
  • Bio-Hazardous Waste
  • Industrial or Commercial Waste

The HHW Facility does not take any waste from commercial sources. Commercial enterprises can contact the Regional District Solid Waste Department for information on Hazardous Waste Disposal.

The HHW Facility will not accept materials in commercial sized containers such as industrial sized paint cans or large metal drums. For acceptable container size information for specific products please contact the Campbell Mountain Landfill at 492-2907.

Other Hazardous or Controlled items are accepted by the Campbell Mountain Landfill but have applicable tipping fees. Please click here for more information.