Non-Resident Property Electors

You may vote in the 2018 General Election as a non-resident property elector if:

  • You do own property in the electoral area, however, you do not reside there;
  • As an owner , you are an individual, not a corporation, and you do not hold your interest in trust for a corporation or another trust,
  •  You are a Canadian citizen;

  • You are at least 18 years of age on the day that you vote; 
  • You have lived in BC for at least 6 months prior to voting day; 

  • You have been a registered owner of real property in the Electoral Area for at least 30 days prior to voting day;
  • You have written consent of the majority of registered owners (if applicable) for the real property authorizing you to be registered as the non-resident property elector for this property.  Please note, only one non-resident property elector may vote per property.

  • You have not registered as a non-resident property elector in relation to any other parcel of real property in the Electoral Area.
  • You are not disqualified from voting or convicted of an indictable offence for which you are currently in custody or have been found guilty of an election offence.

Do I need to register prior to voting?

No.  All electors register when they vote on voting day.

To register, non- resident property electors will need to bring the following:

  • Proof of ownership of the property in question, for example, your tax notice, or a legal Certificate of Title 
  • Form 2-7 Application for Registration as a Non-Resident Property Elector Form 
  • If applicable, Form 2-8 Non-Resident Property Elector Consent Form (A Non-Resident Property Elector Consent form must be completed if the land title registration of the real property indicates that there is more than one individual who is the registered owner.  The person registering must do so with written consent of the number of those individuals who, together with the person registering, are a majority of those individuals).

You are required to produce two (2) pieces of ID that together prove who you are and where you live.  One MUST have your signature.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • BC Driver's License
  • BC Identification Card
  • BC CareCard or Gold CareCard
  • Citizenship Card
  • Credit or Debit Card
  • ICBC Vehicle Insurance Documents
  • Residential Property Tax Notice
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Utility Bill