Voter Information

Who is eligible to vote?

You may vote in the 2018 General Election as a resident elector if: 

  • 18 years of age or older on October 20, 2018; and
  • A Canadian citizen; and
  • A resident of the Electoral Area for at least 30 days prior to voting day (September 19, 2018); and
  • A resident of BC for at least 6 months prior to voting day (April 19, 2018); and
  • Not disqualified by law from voting in an election or otherwise disqualified by law.

If you do not live in the Regional District, but are an owner of property, you may qualify as a non-resident property elector.

Do I need to register prior to voting?

No.  All electors register when they vote on voting day.  To register, resident electors are required to produce two (2) pieces of ID that together prove who you are and where you live.  One MUST have your signature.

Acceptable forms of identification include:

  • BC Driver's License
  • BC CareCard or GoldCard
  • BC Identification Card
  • Citizenship Card
  • Credit or Debit Card
  • ICBC Certificate of Insurance
  • Residential Property Tax Notice
  • Social Insurance Card
  • Utility Bill

Other forms of identification may be accepted, at the discretion of the Presiding Election Official at the voting place.

Are landed immigrants eligible to vote?

No.  You must be a Canadian citizen to vote.

What does 'disqualified from voting' mean?

You may not vote in a British Columbia local government election if you have been convicted of an indictable offence and are in custody or have been found guilty of an election offence.

 What if I need assistance while voting?

If you are able to make it to the voting place, but are unable to go inside the building, you may request Curbside Voting – whereby an election official will bring a ballot to your vehicle. 

If you are unable to mark your own ballot, you may ask for help from an Election Official, friend or relative.  A declaration for a Person Assisting an Elector to Mark a Ballot  will be required for this.

If you require a translator to interpret for you, a declaration for a Translator may be requested.

What to bring when you vote:


Every elector must provide 2 pieces of ID, at least one of which contains a signature. Picture identification is not necessary.

Resident Electors: should provide proof of identity and residency. If the elector does not have ID showing residency, they must still provide 2 pieces of ID, one with a signature, and must make a solemn declaration of residency.

Non-Resident Property Electors must provide 2 pieces of ID proving identity, one with a signature; provide proof that they are entitled to register in relation to a property (that they are a current registered owner on the title); and, if applicable, provide written consent from the other property owners to vote on behalf of that property.

Identification that will be accepted at the Polling Locations are:

 (a) a British Columbia Driver’s License,

 (b) a British Columbia Identification Card issued by the Motor Vehicle Branch,

 (c) an Owner’s Certificate of Insurance and Vehicle Insurance issued by the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia,

 (d) a British Columbia CareCard or British Columbia Gold CareCard,

 (e) a Ministry of Social Development and Economic Security Request for Continued Assistance Form SDES8,

 (f) a Social Insurance Card issued by Human Resources Development      Canada,

 (g) a Citizenship Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada,

 (h) a real property tax notice issued under the Local Government Act or the Taxation (Rural Area) Act,

 (i)  a credit card or debit card issued by a savings institution as defined in section 29 of the Interpretation Act, or

 (j) a utility bill issued for the supply of electricity, natural gas, water, telephone services or coaxial cable services by (i) a public utility as defined in section 1 of the Utilities Commission Act,

(ii)     a gas utility as defined in section 1 of the Gas Utility Act,

(iii) a water utility as defined in section 1 of the Water Act,

(iv)    the British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority, or

(v)     a corporation licensed by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission for the purpose of that supply.

 (k) Canadian Passport

 (l) Canadian Indian Status Card

 (m) Canadian Firearms License

Can a corporation vote?

Local Government Act section 64 (3) states "For clarification, no corporation is entitled to be registered as an elector or have a representative registered as an election, no corporation is entitled to vote.