BC Energy Step Code
What is Step Code?
The BC Energy Step Code is currently an energy efficiency standard in the BC Building Code. The Province of BC has committed to taking incremental steps to increase energy-efficiency requirements in the BC Building Code to make new buildings net-zero energy ready by 2032. The Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) is getting ready for this change and is here to help you adapt.
You will find the following information available on the engagement site www.rdosregionalconnections.ca/step-code under the Documents section:
- Fact sheets
- Consumer Guides
- How to find an Energy Advisor
- Case studies
- Planning airtight building playbooks
Check out the Guide to Step Code Compliance from the RDOS and FortisBC. This video demonstrates specific techniques and strategies on how to build to higher steps of the Step Code, how to run a blower door test, and tips and advice from senior building officials. The video also highlights useful techniques on how to build energy-efficient, beautiful homes in the Okanagan region. The video is broken down into chapters, see times below.
00:00 - Intro
00:34 - Table of Contents
01:39 - Six Basic Strategies
02:26 - Boost Insulation
05:39 - Managing Thermal Bridges
08:24 - Ventilate Smartly
10:35 - Air Barriers & Blower Door Tests
15:22 - Mid-Point Blower Door Test
20:00 - Final Blower Door Test
22:53 - Minding Your Machines
26:18 - Climate Zones
27:43 - Doors & Windows
29:32 - Compliance Timeline
30:33 - Outro
Thank you to the following for their support in this video production:
Evan Phillips, E. Phillips Contracting
Gerry Sawkins, 3West Building Energy Consultants
Fortis BC, for their generous support of this video project.
Mid Construction Blower Door Test Incentive
Simple process map:
- Building permit applicants to be informed of Mid Construction blower door test incentive at first contact with the jurisdiction of RDOS or member municipalities.
- The jurisdiction provides the applicant with the Mid construction Blower Door Test Card at application.
- Project build starts
- Applicant or representative contacts a registered Energy Advisor (EA) and arranges testing at the agreed time and Mid-Construction point.
- Upon completion of Mid Construction blower door test, Energy Advisor and applicant both sign and date the card
- The registered Energy advisor provides a report to the applicant
- The permit applicant gives final paperwork to the building permit with a copy of the report.
- RDOS provides payment to the Energy Advisor upon receipt of the invoice.
Any questions, please contact: