Burning Permit
Open Air Burning Bylaw No. 2364, 2005

NOTE: OPEN BURNING NOT PERMITTED APRIL 15 TO OCTOBER 15 EACH YEAR. A burning permit entitles to you four (4) burning sessions during the calendar year.

The Okanagan-Similkameen valleys often experience weather systems called inversions. An inversion makes the airshed susceptible to the build up of air contaminants that impact human health, visibility, and the environment. To ensure the Okanagan-Similkameen’s air quality is as good as it can be the Regional District has implemented an Open Air Burning Bylaw to reduce emissions from open burning and to eliminate the burning of garbage.

To view Open Air Burning Bylaw No. 2364, 2005 – Click here.

The bylaw is enforced by local volunteer fire departments and applies to fire protection areas – Kaleden, Naramata, Okanagan Falls, Tulameen, and Willowbrook. If your property is outside one of these fire protection service areas contact either your Municipality or the Ministry of Forests at 1-888-797-1717 to obtain an open air burning permit.  Report illegal burning to your local fire authority or R.A.P.P. (Report All Poachers & Polluters)1-877-952-7277.

Click to view fire protection service area maps click on the links below;

Burning Permit

Permit holders must confirm that burning is allowed on that day by checking the Air Quality and Venting Index.

To view today's Air Quality Index:

Regional Dispatch 250-490-4125
Environment Canada 1-888-281-2992 (press 3)

Minimizing Smoke Pollution Utilizing Best Management Practices - Venting Index Smoke Control Forecast - Click Here



3 Steps To Obtain A Burning Permit

Step 1
  • Complete Burning Permit Application Form
    • Online
    • Mail or Fax Form
    • In Person
      Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen
      101 Martin Street, Penticton
      8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday to Friday
      Fax 250-492-0063
  • All Burning Permit Applications must receive approval from your local Fire Chief before an Open Air Burning Permit is issued.
  • Report illegal burning to your local fire authority or R.A.P.P. (Report all Poachers & Polluters) 1-877-952-7277
  • Tulameen-Coalmont residents only - you may contact your local fire authority or follow the steps outlined to complete a Burning Permit Application Form and Open Air Burning Permit. Contact information - (250)295.6688 or email to tulfd@nethop.net
Step 2
  • Obtain an Open Air Burning Permit
    • Your Open Air Burning Permit Application is forwarded to your local fire department for approval.
    • If APPROVED - you will be contacted to pick up your permit at the Regional District Office. To activate your permit you must sign and pay $30.00.
    • Payment is made to the Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen or Tulameen Volunteer Fire Department.
    • Permit valid for calendar year.
    • If DECLINED you will be advised.
Step 3
  • Before Burning
    • Check the Venting Index
      • Telephone Regional Dispatch (250) 490-4125 or online www.rdos.bc.ca.
      • Burning is permitted on days when the venting index is predicted to be "Good" (55-100) at 4:00 p.m.
    • Report Your Burn
      • If it is a "Good" burning day notify Regional Dispatch of your planned burn. You may carry out a maximum of four burns a year.  Open air burning is NOT permitted April 15 to October 15 each year.
Step 4
  • Inspection
    • All permits may be subject to a site inspection.