When do I need a Building Permit?

For all new construction or structural repairs, alterations or renovations, including accessory buildings, retaining walls; woodstoves & chimneys; placing a mobile home or factory built house; demolishing a building or structure.

When is a Building Permit Not Required?

The Building Bylaw exempts the following from requiring a building permit:

  • Farm buildings located on land classed as "farm" under the Assessment Act and that are designed for "low human occupancy" as defined in the National Farm Building Code of Canada (An application for a Farm Building Exemption must be made);
  • Non-structural alterations and repairs to single and two-family residential dwellings;
  • The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures, or the replacement of fixtures when such repairs do not exceed $1,000 in value and do not involve or require the rearrangement of valves and pipes;
  • Building or structures on a mine site, other than buildings used or intended to be used for residential occupancy and buildings accommodating cooking or sleeping facilities.
  • Retaining walls 1.2 metres (4 feet) or less in height excepted ;
  • Game fences of any height on land classed as farm under the Assessment Act or fences 1.83 metres (6 feet) or less in height;
  • Signs with less than 4 square metres of total sign area.
  • Matters exempted by Part 1 of the Building Code except as expressly provided in the bylaw, including but not limited to:
    • Accessory buildings less than 10 m2 (107 sq. feet) in building area that do not create a hazard;
    • Temporary buildings such as construction site offices, seasonal storage buildings & special events facilities (ie tents) and emergency facilities;

Is a Permit required for interior renovations?

In a single or two family residential building a permit is required only if the renovation involves changing a structural or load-bearing component. In all other structures, any interior renovation requires a building permit.

Is a Building Permit required for a wood burning stove or fireplace insert?

Yes, a permit is required for constructing a masonry fireplace or installing a wood burning appliance or chimney.

Is a Building Permit required for a swimming pool?

A permit is required for a swimming pool. A swimming pool is defined as any artificial body of water intended for recreational use and having a surface area exceeding 12 square metres in which the depth of water could attain at least 60 centimetres.

Click here for more information

How do I obtain a Building Permit?

By applying in person or otherwise providing a completed application to the Building Inspection Department at the RDOS office on 101 Martin Street, in Penticton, B.C.
See "To Obtain a Building Permit".

Electrical / Gas Permits

Rewiring, installing a propane heater or doing renovations that involve gas or electricity require a permit.

Permits and inspections for electrical and gas are administrated by the BC Safety Authority.

Contact them Toll-free: 1-866-566-7233 (7am-8pm)  www.safetyauthority.ca

Must plans be drawn by an architect?

If the project is a relatively small project, such as a deck, garage/workshop or a small addition to existing structure, the plans do not need to be drawn by an Architect but the plans must be drawn to scale and should be as complete as possible to reflect the scope of construction and consistent with current BC Building Code requirements. See "To Obtain a Building Permit".

Larger projects must be drawn by a qualified designer and may require architectural involvement. Contact the Architectural Institute of British Columbia to determine whether your project will require an Architect.

How much does a Building Permit cost?

The cost of a Building Permit is based on the estimated value of construction calculated according to square footage of the project (Table A-1 of Schedule 2). There is a non-refundable plan processing fee of $150 which must be received at the time the application is made and which is applied towards the permit cost. Permit fees are $12.00 for each $1000 in value of work to be authorized by the permit.

Modular/manufactured homes are calculated at 50% of the value in Table A-1 of Schedule 2 (below).

Demolition Permit is $150.

Plumbing Permit is $10 per fixture plus $100 fee when issued separately from a building permit.

Solid Fuel Burning Devices are $100

Building Permit Fees are as set out in Fees & Charges Bylaw 2680.

How long does it take to process a Permit and when is it issued?

It takes up to four to six weeks to process a Building Permit, depending on the volume of applications being processed at any given time. The Building Permit must be issued prior to placement of concrete or any construction.

Climatic / Snow Load Data

Per the BC Building Code, including snow, rain & wind loads and climate zones.

RDOS Climatic Data Table



When is a guard/handrail required and what are the required heights of guards/handrails?

As set out in Article 9.8.7 of the 2006 BC Building Code.