What We Do
Planning works in the public interest to prepare plans and policies to guide development, balancing the needs of the community with economic, social and environmental considerations to protect the unique character of the area and quality of life for existing and future generations of the Okanagan Similkameen.
The principal functions of Planning are:
- to prepare land use plans and policies for consideration by the RDOS Board to promote the allocation of resources in support of planned and orderly development;
- to serve the community by responding to a wide range of inquiries and applications related to the use and development of land;
- to administer RDOS land use bylaws, standards and policies;
- to provide the opportunity for meaningful public consultation;
- to act as a resource to the RDOS Board on planning and development matters.
Planning staff are available to assist with inquiries about land development. Applications, referrals and approvals take time. Please provide all the necessary information in order to ensure that the processing of applications is not delayed.
Approvals an applicant may require before development can commence:
- Amendment to the Official Community Plan or Zoning Bylaws - Link: Brochure
- Development Permit (Watercourse development for Riparian Areas, form and character, environmentally sensitive)
- Development Variance Permit - Link: Brochure
- Temporary Industrial / Commercial Permit
- Board of Variance
- Modifying Floodplain Regulations
Development Permits for watercourses, environmentally sensitive areas, commercial and multi-family form and character may also require Agricultural Land Commission approval.
How to contact the RDOS Planning & Building Departments: More info